I’ve been unsure about what to write lately. Every time I brought up this blog I’d pause, think for a moment, and then close the window. Nothing.
The past few weeks have been interesting though. Was sick as a dog a little while back. If sick as a dog means that sleeping on the ground seems like a good idea because the urge to vomit is somehow lessened that way. I barely ate anything that first day, even chicken soup was disgusting. The day that I was finally fully recovered was the day I practically inhaled a bowl of rice and chicken, I was so hungry.
Then, Super Bowl weekend came. I’m not a football fanatic. My grandfather played football in college though, so he likes to have family over to eat food and watch the game. I’ve learned to appreciate the energy of the game, but this particular game day I spent most of my time chatting in the other room and occasionally glancing at the score. I wound up discussing anime with my oldest sister most of the evening. I haven’t watched any in a while but we’d seen most of the same ones.
When most hear the word anime they think nerd and, well, they’re kind of right. But, I’m your average nerd, really. I don’t go around pretending that I’m a ninja, yelling out fight moves and throwing invisible shurikens. I watch anime because they are 1) pleasing to the eye aesthetically 2) another source of stories. I don’t care if it’s foreign, the story’s interesting. I get a little annoyed when they spend too much time in a scene simply thinking or staring (DBZ, anyone?), but I like everything else about them.
On to other things now:
1. I’m in a writing group, showed one of my short stories (intended audience, middle school boys) and they told me that they wanted a novel. A novel?! I admit that I mentally balked. But, but, but — it’s finished! They are probably right, so I’m going to be working on a major re-write.
2. I’m trying to learn Korean. I’m slowly memorizing their alphabet, known as Hanguel or 한 글. I now know how to write tree: 나무. I’m very proud of myself. I was first very confused about the positions of the symbols, but then learned one of the most important facts to correct writing. When you have a horizontal vowel, the consonant goes above it. Vertical, it goes beside it. Obviously this rule only applies to the first consonant.
3. I have been asked to be the editor of a newsletter. Woot! It’s not a paying job but, hey, experience. I’m excited… and nervous about it.
4. The freelance jobs are slowly rollin’ in. Was just hired for a rather decent paying job that’ll last about 3 days.
5. My dreams have become my writing inspiration lately. Next post will go more into details on that.
Until next time.
Eat. Sleep. Read. Write. Repeat.